Initial Certification Exam Fees and Refund Policies
Initial Certification Exam Fees*
- Internal Medicine Certification Exam: $1,365
- Subspecialty Certification Exams: $2,200 (except for Adult Congenital Heart Disease, Advanced Heart Failure & Transplant Cardiology, Transplant Hepatology, Cardiovascular Disease, Interventional Cardiology and Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology)
- Subspecialty Certification Exam in Cardiovascular Disease: $2,345
- Subspecialty Certification Exams: $2,830 for Adult Congenital Heart Disease, Advanced Heart Failure & Transplant Cardiology, Transplant Hepatology, Interventional Cardiology and Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Non-refundable Late Registration Fee: $400
- International Test Center Fee: $500 (This fee is waived for active members of the military.)
ABIM only accepts American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover.
* Costs are for initial certification and do not apply for Maintenance of Certification (MOC). View MOC fees.
- 70% of the exam fee will be refunded if cancellation is received 48 hours prior to exam date. (Example: For exams scheduled Thursday, October 9, 2014, the cancellation deadline would be 11:59 p.m. ET on Tuesday, October 7, 2014.)
- 55% of the exam fee will be refunded when cancellation is received less than 48 hours prior to exam date.
- 85% of the exam fee will be refunded if your application is disapproved.
- Active military personnel may be eligible for additional exam refunds. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Cancel your application. You will receive immediate confirmation of the transaction. ABIM will not accept cancellations by phone. Cancellations cannot be processed by Pearson VUE.
Once your cancellation is confirmed, you are no longer eligible for admission to the exam.
There are no "extenuating circumstances" that will result in an exception to these policies.