All Other Exams (Except Adolescent and Sports Medicine)
To schedule an exam, including arranging for your payment, log in and register during the registration period listed below.
- Internal Medicine Certification Exam: December 1 – February 1
- Late Registration Period: February 2 – March 1
- Subspecialty Certification Exams: March 1 – May 1
- Late Registration Period: May 2 – June 1
- For Adolescent Medicine see Schedule an Adolescent Medicine Certification Exam
- For Sports Medicine see Schedule a Sports Medicine Certification Exam
(For exam dates see Dates, Blueprints & Scoring.)
Schedule an exam:
Steps to schedule all Certification exams other than Adolescent Medicine and Sports Medicine:
- Complete and submit an application form.
- Once submitted, a confirmation page will appear indicating successful registation. This page provides a confirmation number, which is proof the application has been transmitted to ABIM. Print and keep a copy of this page for your records.
- Before electronically signing and submitting your application, you will be asked to read the following statement:
“By this application to the American Board of Internal Medicine (“ABIM”), I agree to be bound by the terms, conditions, and rules set forth in ABIM's Policies and Procedures for Certification and in this website, as they may be amended from time to time.
I understand that by applying, I am entering into a contract with ABIM to provide certain health care operations services, including practice assessment and evaluations. The ABIM HIPAA Business Associate Agreement is a part of this contract.
I agree to indemnify, release, and hold harmless ABIM, its employees, officers, directors, members, agents, and those furnishing information about me to ABIM from any claims, liability, or damage by reason of any of their acts or omissions, done in good faith, in connection with: this application; information furnished to or by ABIM; the evaluation of my qualifications; ABIM examinations; the enforcement of ABIM's Policies and Procedures for Certification, and the policies for recertification outlined on ABIM's website, as well as all terms, conditions, and rules set forth in this website, as they may be amended from time to time; and any other action taken with respect to any certification or recertification granted by ABIM.
I understand that all ABIM materials are protected by the federal Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. § 101, et seq. I further understand that ABIM examinations are trade secrets and are the property of ABIM. Access to all such materials, as further detailed below, is strictly conditioned upon agreement to abide by ABIM's rights under the Copyright Act and to maintain examination confidentiality.
I understand that ABIM examinations are confidential, in addition to being protected by federal copyright and trade secret laws. I agree that I will not copy, reproduce, adapt, disclose, solicit, use, review, consult or transmit ABIM examinations, in whole or in part, before or after taking my examination, by any means now known or hereafter invented. I further agree that I will not reconstruct examination content from memory, by dictation, or by any other means or otherwise discuss examination content with others. I further acknowledge that disclosure or any other use of ABIM examination content constitutes professional misconduct and may expose me to criminal as well as civil liability, and may also result in ABIM's imposition of penalties against me, including but not limited to, invalidation of examination results, exclusion from future examinations, suspension, revocation of certification, and other sanctions.
With respect to ABIM's Medical Knowledge Modules and ABIM PIMs Practice Improvement Modules®, I agree that I will not copy, reproduce or make any adaptations of such materials in any manner; and will not assist someone else in the infringement or misuse of these ABIM-copyrighted works.
I understand that ABIM utilizes data forensic techniques that use statistical analyses of test-response data to identify patterns of test fraud, including cheating and piracy.
I also understand that ABIM may use my examination performance, training program evaluations, self evaluations of knowledge and practice performance, and other information for research purposes, including collaboration with other research investigators and scientific publications. In such research, ABIM will not identify specific individuals, hospitals, or practice associations. Any practice performance data that includes Protected Health Information is maintained in a HIPAA-compliant manner.
I hereby declare under penalty of perjury that the information given in my application is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and beliefs.
I agree to be legally bound by the foregoing.”
- YOUR NAME MUST MATCH ABIM’S RECORDS BEFORE YOU TAKE YOUR EXAM. ABIM uses your full, official name in its records. To change your name, or to correct the spelling of your name, you must notify ABIM in writing. ABIM also requires your current contact information, both your mailing and e-mail addresses, as well as your telephone number. Update your contact information online or send your changes to:
American Board of Internal Medicine
510 Walnut Street, Suite 1700
Philadelphia, PA 19106-3699
fax 215-446-3590 (use this fax number for name changes only)
e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org (if you can provide documentation in digital form; e.g. pdf).
- Contact Pearson VUE to schedule your exam appointment and test center location as soon as you receive your examination confirmation notice from ABIM.
- Seat assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis. (Pearson VUE Test Centers have limited seating.)
- When speaking with the Pearson VUE representative, provide your ABIM ID (for scheduling purposes, please include “ABIM” in front of your ID number (i.e. ABIM999999) and confirm which Certification exam you will be taking.
- Be sure to get an "order number" from the Pearson VUE representative.
- Watch for a confirmation e-mail or fax message from Pearson VUE with scheduling details for your exam. Contact Pearson VUE if you do not receive this confirmation within a day of your original call. (If you do not receive a confirmation within one week, check your spam or blocking filter.)
- Make sure to complete the Certification exam tutorial before your exam date.
- Note: If your application is not approved, you will be notified when ABIM has determined that you are not eligible for admission to an exam. For refund information, see Cancellation and Refund Policies.
- Read the current re-examination policy for ABIM Certification exams.
- It is the sole responsibility of the candidate to be aware of and comply with registration deadlines. In fairness to all candidates, ABIM adheres firmly to its published deadlines for registration and late registration for its examinations. Candidates are strongly urged to apply early in the registration period.