All Other Exams (Except Adolescent, Hospital & Sports Medicine)
When can I take my exam?
Beginning in the sixth year of your certification you can schedule a seat for the exam. You must be enrolled in Maintenance of Certification (MOC) at least two weeks prior to the seat scheduling deadline. Exams are offered twice a year, in spring and fall, and are administered at Pearson VUE Test Centers.
Seat Scheduling Periods:
- Spring MOC Exam: December 1 – February 28
- Fall MOC Exam: May 1 – August 15
- For Adolescent Medicine see Scheduling an Adolescent Medicine MOC Exam
- For Hospital Medicine see Scheduling an Hospital Medicine MOC Exam
- For Sports Medicine see Scheduling a Sports Medicine MOC Exam
(For exam dates see Dates, Blueprints & Scoring.)
It is the sole responsibility of the candidate to be aware of and comply with ABIM seat scheduling deadlines. In fairness to all candidates, ABIM adheres firmly to its published scheduling deadlines for its examinations. Candidates are strongly urged to apply early in the seat scheduling period.
Schedule an exam:
The information below applies to all ABIM MOC exams except Adolescent Medicine, Hospital Medicine and Sports Medicine. You can only schedule your exam during the seat scheduling period and must be enrolled in MOC at least two weeks prior to the seat scheduling deadline.
- Online scheduling with Pearson VUE is a two-step process comprised of creating a web account and scheduling your exam appointment and test center location.
- When you create a Pearson VUE web account, your contact information must match the contact information you have on your ABIM home page.
- Go to www.pearsonvue.com/abim, select “Schedule A Test” in the right column, and follow the instructions.
- Have your ABIM ID ready (for scheduling purposes, please include “ABIM” in front of your ID number (i.e. ABIM999999)
Schedule by telephone:
- Call Pearson VUE at 1-800-601-3549, Monday through Friday, 7am to 7pm Central Time.
- Seat assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis. (Pearson VUE Test Centers are small and have limited seating.)
- Provide the Pearson VUE representative with your ABIM ID (for scheduling purposes, please include “ABIM” in front of your ID number (i.e. ABIM999999) and confirm which MOC exam you will be taking.
- Ask for an "order number" from the Pearson VUE representative.
After scheduling please note:
- You will get a confirmation e-mail or fax message from Pearson VUE with scheduling details for your exam. Contact Pearson VUE if you do not receive this confirmation within a day of scheduling your exam. (If you do not receive a confirmation within one week, check your spam or blocking filter.)
- You will receive a reminder e-mail from ABIM two weeks prior to your exam date.
- You should complete the MOC exam tutorial to prepare before your exam date.
Your name in ABIM's records
YOUR NAME MUST MATCH ABIM’S RECORDS BEFORE YOU TAKE YOUR EXAM. ABIM uses your full, official name in its records. To change your name, or to correct the spelling of your name, you must notify ABIM in writing. ABIM also requires your current contact information, both your mailing and e-mail addresses, as well as your telephone number. Update your contact information online or send your changes to:
American Board of Internal Medicine
510 Walnut Street, Suite 1700
Philadelphia, PA 19106-3699
fax 215-446-3590 (use this fax number for name changes only)
e-mail email@example.com (if you can provide documentation in digital form; e.g. pdf).