Sports Medicine Exam
The Sports Medicine Maintenance of Certification Exam is developed jointly with the American Board of Emergency Medicine, American Board of Family Medicine, and American Board of Pediatrics.
Important Note: Each board establishes its own registration dates and fees for the exam. Candidates certified by ABIM must be aware of the different exam registration dates and deadlines set by ABIM and adhere to them. It is the responsibility of the candidates to be aware of these issues.
Schedule an exam:
- Register for the exam online during the below listed registration period.
- Once registered, a confirmation page will appear indicating successful registration. This page provides a confirmation number, which is proof the application has been transmitted to ABIM. Print and keep a copy of this page for your records.
- Shortly after your application has been submitted, ABIM will forward your information to the American Board of Family Medicine. The American Board of Family Medicine will communicate with you explaining how to schedule a testing location and exam at a Thompson Prometric Test Center. Thompson Prometric administers the Sports Medicine Exam for the American Board of Family Medicine
- YOUR NAME MUST MATCH ABIM’S RECORDS BEFORE YOU TAKE YOUR EXAM. ABIM uses your full, official name in its records. To change your name, or to correct the spelling of your name, you must notify ABIM in writing. ABIM also requires your current contact information, both your mailing and e-mail addresses, as well as your telephone number. Update your contact information online or send your changes to:
American Board of Internal Medicine
510 Walnut Street, Suite 1700
Philadelphia, PA 19106-3699
fax 215-446-3590 (use this fax number for name changes only)
e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org (if you can provide documentation in digital form; e.g. pdf).
- It is the sole responsibility of the candidate to be aware of and comply with registration deadlines. In fairness to all candidates, ABIM adheres firmly to its published deadlines for registration and late registration for its examinations. Candidates are strongly urged to apply early in the registration period.
- Contact the American Board of Family Medicine for information about test center locations and changing exam dates.
Seat Scheduling Period:
December 1 – March 1
(For exam dates see Dates, Blueprints & Scoring.)