Section: MOC Policies and Fees
ABIM's fee schedule for the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program includes two components: An annual program fee, due within each calendar year, and an assessment fee, which is paid when you register for a traditional ABIM MOC exam or the new ABIM Knowledge Check-In.
The annual program fee supports a number of essential ABIM services, including:
- Access to ABIM MOC activities
- Partnerships with societies and ACCME in qualifying and expanding appropriate activities for MOC
- Recognizing and acknowledging CME points eligible for MOC
- Attestation processing
- New physician portal with access to personalized ABIM status report and CME reporting for ABIM activities (Coming in 2018)
- Developing and distributing reminders from ABIM about your MOC program requirements
The assessment fee goes toward creating assessments and enhancing your assessment experience with more flexibility in how you take an assessment and incorporating input from physicians on what topics are the most relevant to practice.
Learn more about the value of the MOC program.
To make a payment sign in to your Physician Portal.
- If you pre-paid an MOC program fee, it will remain on your account.
- An additional $20 will be added to the program fee if it is paid after the year in which it was due, bringing it to $175.
- Your annual fee is due each year on January 1.
- If you are retaking a traditional 10-year MOC exam for the first time after failing the same exam, you receive 50% off the exam fee. Subsequent retakes of the exam will be full price.
- For international test takers: There is an International Test Center Fee of $500 for the traditional 10-year MOC exam and an International Test Center fee of $100 for the two-year Knowledge Check-In. This fee is waived for active members of the military.
Under the 2018 payment schedule, physicians can choose to pre-pay up to 10 years of the program fee for 20% less, meaning they will actually pay less over a 10-year period than they do now:
Fee Credits & Waivers
- If you are enrolled in an eligible fellowship, you will receive an MOC program fee credit for every eligible fellowship year you have completed. Fellowship years are eligible for credit if they are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or the Professional Corporation of Physicians of Quebec and if a rating of at least Satisfactory was received for the year.
- Fee credits will be granted upon receipt of an eligible training evaluation and will be applied to your annual MOC program fee. Unaccredited training years either before or during fellowship or fellowship years completed before 2014 do not qualify for the MOC credit.
- Upon successful completion of an eligible fellowship year and ABIM's receipt of your evaluation from your program director via FasTrack, you will also receive 20 MOC points.
- Upon becoming newly certified in Internal Medicine, you will receive an MOC program fee waiver which will be automatically applied to your annual MOC program fee.
- If you prepaid 10 years prior to 11/1/2017, please contact ABIM regarding refund policies.
- There are no refunds for the MOC annual program fee.
- If you cancel a traditional 10-year MOC exam: Your MOC exam fee will be credited to your account if you cancel your MOC exam in accordance with the MOC Exam Cancellation Policy.