Approved Quality Improvement (AQI) Pathway
The Approved Quality Improvement (AQI) pathway offers diplomates the opportunity to earn 20 Maintenance of Certification (MOC) points for participating in externally developed quality improvement (QI) activities that have met ABIM's standards for measuring and improving patient care.
To receive MOC points, you must:
- Have participated in the QI activity within the past 24 months.
- Be enrolled in MOC.
- Complete an AQI Project Report.*
- Be verified by the sponsoring organization.**
* You may not submit more than one AQI Project Report at a time. Access to the AQI Project Report will be temporarily suspended pending verification from the sponsoring organization for a submitted project. Access to the submission form will be restored after seven days once the sponsor has responded to the verification request.
** Points will be granted only after your participation has been verified. While ABIM makes every effort to ensure the sponsor responds in a timely fashion, ABIM cannot guarantee MOC points will be issued before the end of the calendar year for reports submitted after December 1st.
Submitting Data From Other QI Activities
If you have participated in a QI activity not listed among the AQI Pathway Options and have accumulated data within the last 24 months, you may submit your data through the Completed Project PIM for MOC points.
- Contact the sponsoring organization directly for more information about ordering and completing their products.
- The sponsoring organization may charge additional fees separate from ABIM's MOC fee.
- Eligibility to participate in a specific AQI activity may be restricted by location, subspecialty and/or group affiliation.