- Collection of Personal Information
- Collection of Non-Personal Information
- Use of Your Information
- Disclosure of Your Information
- Links to Third-Party Websites
- ABIM's Commitment to Security
- Your Privacy Choices
- Your California Privacy Rights
Collection of Personal Information
ABIM collects personal information provided by you when you log in to the secure “Physician Login” section of our website, register for Certification examinations, enroll in the Maintenance of Certification program, complete a survey, and/or when you contact us to inquire about or register for any of our products or services. When you provide personal information through our website, the information may be sent to servers located in the United States and other countries around the world.
The personal information we collect may include the following: name, home address, e-mail address, your home and/or mobile phone numbers, your gender, your ABIM identification number and your date of birth. Such detailed, personally identifiable information is required of all physicians who seek Certification or participate in Maintenance of Certification. The exact types of information required are identified in detail at the time the information is collected. All such information is retained indefinitely.
ABIM does not collect personally identifiable information from users of those parts of its website that do not require a sign in, except when users send e-mails to ABIM. ABIM retains such e-mails indefinitely, and data retained may include the e-mail sender's name, e-mail address and any other information provided in the e-mail. ABIM regards such information as confidential and does not use or disclose it without the permission of the sender except as specifically necessary for ABIM to carry out its Certification and evaluation functions or to investigate possible violations of ABIM rules.Top
Collection of Non-Personal Information
ABIM may automatically collect non-personal information about visitors to our website, such as number of visitors, Internet Protocol address, browser type, operating system and pages viewed, but we will not combine such data with any personal information. We maintain this data indefinitely and use this data in the aggregate to determine how visitors use our website for internal management and so that we can improve your experience on our website.
Use of Your Information
We may use personal information collected from you for several general purposes:
- To deliver the products and services that you have requested;
- To respond to your inquiries;
- To manage your account and provide you with customer support including for administrative or operational purposes relating to our products or services;
- To send you important reminders about requirements and deadlines for your certification;
- To send you promotions and news about ABIM products and services or those of other carefully selected medical societies which we think may be of interest to you;
- To conduct market research relating to the development of our products, services and/or website;
- For other research purposes, however, as noted below, ABIM will not identify individual diplomates in presenting or publishing the results of such research;
- To maintain and administer the website;
- To ask your opinions on our products and services (e.g., through surveys), which will help us improve our products and services;
- To verify your identity and prevent or detect fraud; and/or
- To perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
Please note that we may contact you by mail, e-mail, telephone or fax for any of the above purposes.Top
Disclosure of Your Information
ABIM maintains personally identifiable information and any other information submitted by or about a physician indefinitely. ABIM maintains the confidentiality of this information in accordance with the ABIM Confidentiality Policy. In general, ABIM publicly discloses the certification status of physicians (including in conjunction with the Federation of State Medical Boards and the American Board of Medical Specialties, and to credential and licensure verification organizations), discloses to training program directors a physician's prior training and examination performance, and discloses and uses information for research purposes (however, ABIM does not identify individual diplomates in presenting or publishing the results of such research). Please read the Confidentiality Policy for other important details and disclosures.
ABIM also may disclose your personal information in any of the following circumstances:
- To send the information to companies who work on our behalf to provide a product or service to you, however, we will only provide those companies the information they need to deliver the service, and they are not permitted to share or use such information for any other purposes;
- To conform or comply with the law, or if we have a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a court order or subpoena, to cooperate with investigations by law enforcement or regulatory authorities or to participate or cooperate with a judicial proceeding, to enforce applicable terms and conditions of this website, or, in urgent circumstances, to protect the safety of persons or property, including this website; and/or
- In the event of a merger, consolidation or reorganization involving ABIM, your personal information will, in most instances, be transferred to the control of a third party.
We may also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individual customers are identified and no personal information is revealed) for marketing and strategic development purposes.Top
Links to Third-Party Websites
ABIM's Commitment to Security
The security of your information is very important to us. ABIM takes appropriate physical, electronic and managerial precautions to secure against unauthorized access and use of information you send to ABIM.Top
Your Privacy Choices
If you provided ABIM with personal information and have obtained access to the secure Physician Login section of our website, you may review and update your information by signing in and clicking on the profile section. You may choose to opt out of receiving certain communications or information, including surveys invitations, e-mail promotions, and special offers, by e-mailing us at email@example.com or by calling 1-800-441-2246. Please note that you cannot opt out of receiving the messages ABIM deems essential to your participation in our programs.Top
Your California Privacy Rights
Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, a California resident who has provided personal information to a business with whom he/she has established a business relationship has the right to request certain information regarding the disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
American Board of Internal Medicine
510 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-3699
Attention: Diplomate Services
Effective Date of Current Policy: January 1, 2014.