Sports Medicine Certification Scoring and Results
The examination pass-fail decision is based on your performance on the entire examination. Unanswered questions are scored as incorrect; therefore, you should answer every question. The minimum passing score reflects an absolute standard that is independent of the performance of any group of candidates. This standard has been established by the examination committee and approved by the ABIM Board of Directors.
- After the exam is given, it will be analyzed and evaluated to ensure the reliability of individual results.
- Your results will be released and a Score Report will be mailed to you within three months of the last date of the exam in that area.
- You will receive e-mail notification when your results are released and an announcement will be posted on ABIM's website. No additional information is available until that time.
- You can obtain your pass/fail status for an exam in the My Exams section of your ABM Physician Portal when results are released.
- Scores are provided through the mail only. Copies of your Score Report will be maintained for two years from the date they were released. During that period, you may obtain a copy of your Score Report upon written request.
- Questions regarding exam results should be submitted in writing within six months of the date results were released.
Those who pass the examination are designated as certified diplomates of ABIM. They will receive certificates, which will remain valid as long as they continue to participate in MOC in accordance with the MOC program requirements. The certificates are mailed from ABIM within three to four months after candidates are notified of their results. Note: your current board certification status, as well as whether you are participating in MOC, is reported in your ABIM Physician Portal.