Members will contribute to ongoing innovation and collaboration to support physicians in staying current with medical knowledge throughout their careers.
Philadelphia, PA, July 15, 2019 – The American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) today announced new appointments to its governance structure, including new Specialty Board and Exam Committee members.
ABIM's governance structure consists of more than 350 members on more than 50 boards and committees and includes physicians, allied professionals and public members. ABIM Specialty Boards are responsible for the broad definition of the discipline across Certification and Maintenance of Certification (MOC). They have oversight of the Exam Committees and are responsible for ensuring that Certification and MOC remain relevant assessments in their discipline. Specialty Board members work with physicians and medical societies to develop Certification and MOC credentials to recognize physicians for their specialized knowledge and commitment to staying current in their field.
“We welcome the new members of our Specialty Boards to ABIM's governance. These distinguished leaders in medical education and practice represent a diverse cross-section of the medical profession and related positions from across the country. We rely on them to support and enhance ABIM's efforts to create high quality standards-based assessments that enable physicians to demonstrate that they are current in their medical practice and able to deliver the best care possible to their patients,” said Richard J. Baron, MD, President and CEO of ABIM.
ABIM's 20 Exam Committees are responsible for developing relevant, clinically valid and rigorous assessments for Certification and MOC. Committee members are involved in assessment innovations including incorporating the clinical resource UpToDate® into assessments, launching shorter Knowledge Check-Ins and developing co-created assessment pathways with medical specialty societies. Exam Committee members are involved in direct patient care in a variety of geographic locations and institutional settings.
“Our Specialty Board and Exam Committee members play a key role in developing and implementing the highest quality certification and assessment programs for physicians,” said Marianne M. Green, MD, newly-elected Chair of ABIM's Board of Directors. “They are an invaluable source of innovation, expertise, and professionalism, and we are appreciative of their time and talents dedicated to improving ABIM's programs on behalf of more than 200,000 board certified physicians across the world.”
New members of the ABIM Specialty Boards and Exam Committees are:
- Suzanne A. Feigofsky, MD, is an electrophysiologist at the Iowa Heart Center in Carroll, Iowa.
- John M. Herre, MD, co-founded the Sentara Cardiovascular Research Institute in 2006 and continues to serve as its Scientific Director. He is a Professor of Medicine at Eastern Virginia Medical School and served as Chief, Division of Cardiology, from 2000 to 2010. Dr. Herre served on the Cardiovascular Board Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology Exam Committee from 2011 until 2017.
- Rowlens M. Melduni, MD, is an Associate Professor of Medicine and faculty in the Department of Cardiovascular Medicine at Mayo Clinic School of Medicine, Rochester, MN. Dr. Melduni is the Director of the cardioversion unit at the Mayo Clinic Rochester. He is the founder, president and CEO of Clinicians of the World.
- Andrea M. Russo, MD, is Professor of Medicine at Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, Director of Electrophysiology and Arrhythmia Services, Director of Cardiovascular Research and Director of the Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology Fellowship Program at Cooper University Hospital in Camden, N.J. She previously served on the
Cardiovascular Board Cardiovascular Disease Exam Committee.
Cardiovascular Board Adult Congenital Heart Disease Exam Committee:
- Chair, Jamil A. Aboulhosn, MD, is Associate Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics in the Division of Cardiology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). He is also the Director of the Ahmanson/UCLA Adult Congenital Heart Disease Center.
- Stephen C. Cook, MD, is the Director of the Adult Congenital Heart Program at Spectrum Health Helen DeVos Children's Hospital, and Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics and Human Development at Michigan State University College of Human Medicine.
- Yuli Y. Kim, MD, serves as the medical director of the Philadelphia Adult Congenital Heart Center, a joint program between the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) and Penn Medicine as well as the fellowship director for the ACHD fellowship program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. She is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.
Cardiovascular Board Advanced Heart Failure/Transplant Cardiology Exam Committee:
- Wai H. W. Tang, MD, is Professor of Medicine at Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine at Case Western Reserve University, as well as Research Director and staff cardiologist in the Section of Heart Failure and Cardiac Transplantation Medicine in the Sydell and Arnold Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute at the Cleveland Clinic.
Cardiovascular Board Cardiovascular Disease Exam Committee:
- Paul L. Douglass, MD, is Chief, Division of Cardiology and Director, Cardiovascular Services at the Atlanta Medical Center. He is also a past Chairman of the Hospital Board at Atlanta Medical Center and serves as Clinical Assistant Professor (Cardiology) at Morehouse School of Medicine.
- Michael L. Main, MD, serves as co-medical director of Saint Luke's Mid America Heart Institute in Kansas City, and as chair of the Cardiovascular Division within Saint Luke's Physician Group. He is also a professor of medicine at the University of Missouri–Kansas City School of Medicine.
Cardiovascular Board Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology Exam Committee:
- Usha B. Tedrow, MD, is an invasive clinical cardiac electrophysiologist with clinical expertise in complex catheter ablation. She is also the Director of the Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology (CCEP) program at Brigham and Women's Hospital.
Cardiovascular Board Interventional Cardiology Exam Committee:
- Steven R. Bailey, MD, is a Distinguished Professor of Medicine and Radiology in the Janey and Dolph Briscoe Division of Cardiology at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, TX.
- Robert N. Piana, MD, is a Professor of Medicine and Director of the Adult Congenital Interventional Program and Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He also directs the Clinical Documentation and Coding Excellence Program for the Vanderbilt Heart and Vascular Institute and serves on the Contracts Committee of Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
- Syed T. Rab, MD, is a Professor and an interventional cardiologist at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.
Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Board Exam Committee:
- Matthew T. Drake, MD, is a Consultant in the Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, and Associate Professor of Medicine at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. He also serves as Chair of the Mayo Clinic Metabolic Bone Disease Core Group.
- Pamela U. Freda, MD, is Professor of Medicine at Columbia University Irving Medical Center in New York. Dr. Freda is Clinical Director of the Neuroendocrine Unit and co-director of the Pituitary Center at Columbia University Irving Medical Center. She is also an Assistant Attending in Medicine at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
- Hannah M. Herrington, MPH, CPH, CHES, is a Health Communication Manager, consulting with government agencies and health industry clients on how to best engage people, patients, and caregivers in their health care, utilizing health literacy and clear communication best practices.
- Richard K. Sterling, MD, is a Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Hepatology Professor of Medicine in the Divisions of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition and Infectious Diseases, Section Chief of Hepatology and Medical Director of Viral Hepatitis and Transplant Hepatology Fellowship Director.
Geriatric Medicine Board Exam Committee:
- Chair, Helen L. Chen, MD, is the Chief Medical Officer at Hebrew SeniorLife, a Harvard Medical School-affiliated senior health care organization in Boston, Massachusetts, where she serves as the Senior Clinical Leader and oversees the organization’s Department of Medicine.
- Niharika N. Suchak, MD, is a clinician-educator and an Associate Professor in the Department of Geriatrics at Florida State University College of Medicine in Tallahassee.
- Paul T. Adams, MD, is in private practice in Genesee Hematology-Oncology; Program Director for the Hematology and Oncology Fellowship Program at Genesys Regional Medical Center and Director of Hematology-Oncology Services at Genesys; Medical Director of Medical Oncology for Ascension Michigan; and faculty member at the University of Michigan for nine years.
- Beth M. Faiman, PhD, RN, MSN, ANP-BC, AOCN, is a Nurse Practitioner in the Department of Hematology and Oncology at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Selina M. Luger, MD, is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, where she is the Director of the Leukemia Program of the Abramson Cancer Center at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Hospital Medicine Exam Writing Committee:
- Kimberly A. Bell, MD, is the Regional Director, Hospital Medicine, for Team Health. She is also an active member of the Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM), serving on the Women in Medicine Task Force and as a facilitator for the SHM Leadership Academy.
Infectious Disease Board:
- Wendy Armstrong, MD, is a Professor of Medicine in the Division of Infectious Disease at the Emory University School of Medicine. She is also Medical Director of the Ponce de Leon Center at Grady Health System, one of the largest HIV clinics in the country.
- Jesse Milan, Jr., JD, is President & CEO of AIDS United, a national organization focused on ending the HIV epidemic in the U.S. through grant-making, policy and advocacy, and capacity building.
Infectious Disease Board Exam Committee:
- John W. Baddley, MD, is a Professor of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). He serves as Director, Transplant Infectious Diseases in the UAB Comprehensive Transplant Institute and as Chief of Infectious Diseases at the Birmingham VA Medical Center.
Internal Medicine Board:
- Nagendra Gupta, MD, is a full time practicing hospitalist with Apogee Physicians. As a Medical Director, he currently runs the Hospitalist Program at Texas Health Arlington Memorial Hospital in Arlington Texas. He previously served as the Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine at the Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine where he currently serves as the Director of the CME Program.
- Jonathan J. Roberts, MD, is CEO of Goodwood Primary Care Clinic, LLC based in Baton Rouge, LA.
Internal Medicine Board Exam Committee:
- Zachary D. Goldberger, MD, is an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine and Electrophysiology at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health.
- Nina J. Karlin, MD, is a general medical oncologist at Mayo Clinic Arizona and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Sciences.
- Rosechelle M. Ruggiero, MD, is on the faculty at UT Southwestern in Dallas, Texas. She is specifically committed to resident and fellow training in both the intensive care unit and in general pulmonary medicine.
Medical Oncology Board:
- Linda S. Ahn, MSN, is a Clinical Trials Nurse Practitioner in the Thoracic Medicine Program at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) in New York City.
- Emily Bennett-Taylor is a Stage IV lung cancer survivor, athlete and nonsmoker who is working to change the public perception of who gets lung cancer to achieve better funding, better research, and better outcomes for patients. She serves as a volunteer Spokesperson/Patient Advocate for the Go2 Foundation for Lung Cancer.
- Ann S. LaCasce, MD, is Program Director of the Dana-Farber/Partners Cancer Care Fellowship, which is the largest hematology/oncology training program in the country. She is also an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School.
- Olatoyosi Odenike, MD, is a board certified medical oncologist, and an Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Chicago. Dr. Odenike's clinical research and medical practice is focused on myeloid malignancies, including acute and chronic leukemias, myelodysplastic syndromes and chronic myeloproliferative neoplasms. She has a particular interest in new drug development in these diseases.
Medical Oncology Board Exam Committee:
- Chair, Pamela N. Munster, MD, is Professor in Residence at the University of California, San Francisco, where she is also the Director of Early Phase Clinical Trials Program at the Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center and Program Leader of Developmental Therapeutics. She is the co-Leader of the BRCA Center.
- Manish A. Shah, MD, is the Bartlett Family Associate Professor of Gastrointestinal Oncology and Chief, Solid Tumor Oncology Service at Weill Cornell Medical College and NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. He is also Co-Director, Center for Advanced Digestive Care, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
- Hussein Tawbi, MD, is Associate Professor of Medical Oncology, Investigational Cancer Therapeutics, and Director of Melanoma Clinical Research and Early Drug Development at the Department of Melanoma Medical Oncology at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
- Deborah B. Adey, MD, is a transplant nephrologist at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and the medical director of the kidney transplant program at UCSF.
- Linda Awdishu, PharmD, is Professor and Chair of Clinical Pharmacy and Director of Interprofessional Education and Simulation at the University of California, San Diego Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Pulmonary Disease Board:
- Susan Murin, MD, is currently Vice-Chair of Internal Medicine, Interim Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs and Co-Director of Ambulatory Operations at UC Davis Health System.
- Kevin M. O'Neil, MD, is in private practice and a partner at Wilmington Health, a multispecialty group in Wilmington, NC.
- Carol K. Yochum, is a lung transplant recipient and pulmonary rehabilitation patient. She is also a former management and financial analyst.
Pulmonary Disease Board Exam Committee:
- Karen A. Fagan, MD, is the Chief, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and Professor of Medicine and Pharmacology at the University of South Alabama (USA) in Mobile, AL. She also serves as a member of the university’s Center for Lung Biology and Director of the USA Pulmonary Hypertension Center.
- Nadia N. Hansel, MD, is a Professor of Medicine and Interim Director of the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at Johns Hopkins with joint appointments in the Division of Allergy and Clinical Immunology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and the Department of Environmental Health Sciences at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. She is also the Associate Dean of Research for the Bayview Campus, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Susan K. Chrostowski, DNP, APRN, ANP-C, is a nurse practitioner certified by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board and has been practicing exclusively in rheumatology since 2005.
- Maryah Mansoor, MD, is an internist and rheumatologist at Christiana Care Hospital Delaware. She is also Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine at Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, PA.
- Daniel McGowan, MD, currently chairs the Primary Care Development Corporation and Hygea Health Holdings Corporation, and is past chair of National Medical Fellowships and the National Board of the Arthritis Foundation. He serves as a member of the American Board of Internal Medicine Rheumatology Board, and was the Arthritis Foundation's representative to the Board of the American College of Rheumatology. He has held faculty posts at Governors State University in Illinois, the University of Wisconsin and Long Island University.
- Philip Seo, MD, is the Director of the Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center and Director of the Johns Hopkins Rheumatology Fellowship Training Program.
Test and Policy Committee on Transplant Hepatology:
- Marwan S. Ghabril, MD, is a transplant hepatologist and an Associate Professor of Medicine at the Indiana University School of Medicine.
View lists of current ABIM Specialty Board members and current Exam Committee members.
ABIM Board Certified Doctors Make a Difference
Internists and subspecialists who earn and maintain board certification from the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) differentiate themselves every day through their specialized knowledge and commitment to continual learning in service of their patients. Established as an independent nonprofit more than 80 years ago, ABIM continues to be driven by doctors who want to achieve higher standards for better care in a rapidly changing world. Visit ABIM's blog to learn more and follow ABIM on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. ABIM is a member of the American Board of Medical Specialties.