Members will help expand options for physicians maintaining board certification
Philadelphia, PA, July 6, 2017 – The American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) today announced new appointments to its governance structure, including new Specialty Board and Exam Committee members.
Specialty Boards are composed of physicians from a diverse range of practice types, interprofessional healthcare team members and public members. They work with physicians and medical societies to develop Certification and Maintenance of Certification (MOC) credentials to indicate that physicians have achieved specialized knowledge and have continued to build on that foundation throughout their careers to keep up with changes in medicine.
“Specialty Board and Exam Committee members are working with physicians to create meaningful, standards-driven assessments that also offer more choice, relevance and convenience,” said Richard J. Baron, MD, President and CEO of ABIM. “New members are joining our team at an exciting time and will work within their respective specialty to help launch ABIM Knowledge Check-Ins, the new MOC assessment option that's shorter, open-book and can be taken at home.”
ABIM's 20 Exam Committees are responsible for developing relevant, clinically valid and rigorous exams and assessment innovations for Certification and MOC. Exam Committee members are involved in direct patient care in a variety of geographic locations and institutional settings.
“It's a time of rapid change in medicine, and ABIM Exam Committee members are adapting how they develop assessments to ensure that the content reflects how physicians treat patients today,” said Patricia M. Conolly, MD, Chair of ABIM's Board of Directors. “This work builds on our shared mission to recognize doctors committed to staying current with medical advances through continual learning and assessment.”
New members of the ABIM Specialty Boards and Exam Committees are:
Cardiovascular Board Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology Exam Committee:
- Maryl R. Johnson, MD, Professor of Medicine and a Heart Failure/Transplant Cardiologist at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- Andrew C. Kao, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Missouri-Kansas City; Medical Director of the Heart Transplant Program at St. Luke's Hospital Mid America Heart Institute; and Medical Director of the Cardiopulmonary Exercise Laboratory
Cardiovascular Board Cardiovascular Disease Exam Committee:
- Dimitri C. Cassimatis, MD, Director of the Coronary Care Unit at Emory University Hospital Midtown in Atlanta, Georgia; and co-Director of the first-year medical student cardiovascular pathophysiology module at Emory's School of Medicine
- W. Lane Duvall, MD, Director of Nuclear Cardiology at Hartford Hospital in Hartford, Connecticut; and Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Critical Care Medicine Board Exam Committee:
- Alain F. Broccard, MD, Medical Director for St. Vincent Seton Specialty Hospital located in Indianapolis, Indiana
- Cherylee W.J. Chang, MD, Medical Director of the Neuroscience Institute and Neurocritical Care at The Queen's Medical Center (QMC) in Honolulu, Hawaii; dual appointments as a Clinical Professor of Medicine and Surgery at the John A. Burns School of Medicine at the University of Hawaii
Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism Board:
- Gary Bloom, a thyroid cancer survivor, co-founder and Executive Director of ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association, Inc.
Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism Board Exam Committee:
- Chair, Paul W. Ladenson, MD, the John Eager Howard Professor of Endocrinology and Metabolism; Director of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism; and Professor of Medicine, Pathology, Oncology, and Radiology and Radiological Sciences at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland; and Professor of International Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. He also serves as a member of the ABIM Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism Board.
- Daniel H. Bessesen, MD, Professor of Medicine at the University of Colorado, School of Medicine (UCSOM) and Chief of Endocrinology at Denver Health Medical Center; Program Director for Fellowship Training in Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes at the UCSOM; and Associate Director of the Anschutz Health & Wellness Center
- Anne C. Goldberg, MD, Professor of Medicine in the Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Lipid Research at Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
- Deborah J. Wexler, MD, a practicing endocrinologist and Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts; and the Associate Clinical Chief of the Massachusetts General Hospital Diabetes Unit, and co-Clinical Director of the MGH Diabetes Center
- Kenneth DeVault, MD, Professor and Chair of the Department of Medicine; member of the Executive Operating Team; and Medical Director for Leadership and Organizational Development at Mayo Clinic Florida, Jacksonville, Florida
- Nancy Reau, MD, Associate Director of Solid Organ Transplantation and Section Chief of Hepatology at Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, and co-Chair of the National American Liver Foundation Medical Advisory Committee. She also serves on the ABIM Gastroenterology Board Exam Committee.
Gastroenterology Board Exam Committee:
- Lin Chang, MD, Professor of Medicine and gastroenterologist in the Division of Digestive Diseases, Department of Medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA); co-Director of the G. Oppenheimer Center for Neurobiology of Stress and Resilience at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA; and Program Director of the UCLA Gastroenterology Fellowship Program
- Amar Deshpande, MD, practicing gastroenterologist and Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Gastroenterology; co-Director of the Advanced IBD fellowship and Vice Chief for Education in the Division of Gastroenterology; and Assistant Dean for Medical Education and Competency Assessment at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in Miami, Florida
- Marc S. Zumberg, MD, Professor and Section Chief, Non-Malignant Hematology at the University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida
Hospital Medicine Exam-Writing Committee (reports to the Internal Medicine Board):
- LeRoi Hicks, MD, Hugh R. Sharp, Jr. Chair in the Department of Medicine and Physician Leader, Acute Medicine Service Line for the Christiana Care Health System (CCHS), Wilmington, Delaware
- Jensa C. Morris, MD, hospitalist physician and the Medical Director of the Hip Fracture Co-Management Program at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Connecticut
Infectious Disease Board Exam Committee:
- Kimberly E. Hanson, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine and Pathology; Director of the Transplant Infectious Diseases and Immunocompromised Host Service at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah; and Section Head for Clinical Microbiology within ARUP Laboratories
Internal Medicine Board Exam Committee:
- Chair, Guido DeJesus, MD, Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine for the Louisiana State University Internal Medicine Residency Program in Baton Rouge, Louisiana; and Associate Medical Director for Hospice of Baton Rouge
- Hollis D. Day, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine and Chief of Geriatrics at Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts
- John Raimo, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine and the Site Director at Long Island Jewish Medical Center for the internal medicine residency program at Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine, Hempstead, New York
- Amy D. Robertson, MD, adult hospitalist at Munson Medical Center in Traverse City, Michigan; and Clinical Liaison for iNDIGO Health Partners
Medical Oncology Board:
- Tareq Al Baghdadi, MD, practicing hematologist/oncologist at IHA Hematology and Oncology Associates in Ypsilanti, Michigan; member of the National Cancer Institute Leukemia Steering Committee; and member of the National Myelodysplastic Syndromes Study Steering Committee
Medical Oncology Board Exam Committee:
- Suresh S. Ramalingam, MD, Professor of Hematology and Medical Oncology and the Assistant Dean for Cancer Research at the Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia; Roberto C. Goizueta Chair for Cancer Research and the Deputy Director of the Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University
- Lori J. Wirth, MD, Medical Director of the Head and Neck Oncology Program at Massachusetts General Hospital and Assistant Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- Deidra C. Crews, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Nephrology and Associate Vice Chair for Diversity and Inclusion of the Department of Medicine at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland; jointly appointed in the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing, the Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research, the Hopkins Center to Eliminate Cardiovascular Health Disparities and the Hopkins Center on Aging and Health
Nephrology Board Exam Committee:
- Diane M. Cibrik, MD, Medical Director of Kidney and Pancreas Transplantation at the University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas
- William W. LeCates, MD, Senior Attending Physician in nephrology at the Bassett Medical Center in Cooperstown, New York; Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons; and Medical Director of the Bassett Medical Center
- Dena Rifkin, MD, Associate Professor at the University of California, San Diego, and Director of Dialysis Services, VA San Diego Healthcare System
Pulmonary Disease Board:
- John H. Hansen-Flaschen, MD, the Paul F. Harron Family Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania; and co-Director and founder of the Paul Harron Lung Center at the University of Pennsylvania
Pulmonary Disease Board Exam Committee:
- James K. Stoller, MD, Chairman of the Education Institute at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio; Jean Wall Bennett Professorship of Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University and the Samson Global Leadership Academy Endowed Chair; and Professor of Organizational Behavior in the Weatherhead School of Management of Case Western Reserve University
Rheumatology Board Exam Committee:
- Michael J. Battisone, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Rheumatology at the University of Utah; Director of the Center of Excellence in Musculoskeletal Care and Education at the George E. Wahlen Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah; and co-Director of the National Musculoskeletal Training Programs at the VA Simulation, Learning, Education, and Research Network (SimLEARN) in Orlando, Florida
Test-Writing Committee on Hospice and Palliative Medicine:
- Elizabeth A. Kvale, MD, Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB); faculty member at the Center for Palliative and Supportive Care at UAB; Associate Scientist at the UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center; and Director of the Supportive Care and Survivorship Clinic at UAB
- Maisha T. Robinson, MD, Senior Associate Consultant in the Department of Neurology at Mayo Clinic in Florida, Jacksonville, Florida; Assistant Professor of Neurology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine; and Associate Program Director for the Palliative Medicine Fellowship
View lists of current ABIM Specialty Board members and current Exam Committee members.
ABIM Board Certified Doctors Make a Difference
Internists and subspecialists who earn and maintain board certification from the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) differentiate themselves every day through their specialized knowledge and commitment to continual learning in service of their patients. Established as an independent nonprofit more than 80 years ago, ABIM continues to be driven by doctors who want to achieve higher standards for better care in a rapidly changing world. Visit ABIM's blog to learn more and follow ABIM on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. ABIM is a member of the American Board of Medical Specialties.