Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine Pilot Program
The following information was submitted by the Geri-PM Pilot Oversight Committee.
This is part of an ABIM pilot program in competency-based education, therefore the documents ask for clear identification of how assessment will be done.
- ACGME accredited fellowship programs in both geriatrics and palliative medicine
- Completion of ABIM documents describing:
- template of program scheduling
- basis of competency-based evaluations
- This is a pilot program and participants will need to provide documentation as requested. All fellows will need to be assessed similarly to be able to state whether those doing the integrated two-year program are as competent as those doing the one-year program in each discipline.
- Fellows cannot sit for either board until they have completed the full program.
- If fellows do not progress as expected regarding the development of clinical competence, remediation time may come from the time designated to be used for scholarly projects. Fellows may need to switch to one program rather than complete both.
- Program can be paid for using GME dollars, with one year from Geriatrics and the other from Palliative Care.
- The 'academic scholarship and leadership' curriculum will vary from site to site depending on local resources. We need to develop a group set of curricular milestones for this.
For further information, contact:
Rosanne M. Leipzig MD, PhD
Brookdale Dept. of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
1468 Madison Avenue, Box 1070
New York, NY 10029