Care for the Underserved Activity
ABIM Medical Knowledge activities allow physicians in internal medicine and its subspecialties to examine knowledge strengths and weaknesses in important clinical areas. The Care for the Underserved module focuses upon the evidence base around caring for diverse populations. ABIM’s hope is that this module will help physicians understand the challenges and opportunities in treating diverse populations and ultimately improve the care they deliver to all patients.
- ABIM MOC Points: 10
- CME Credit: This activity no longer offers AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- Format: Web-based
- Content: 25 multiple-choice questions focusing on the evidence base around caring for diverse populations, with the goal of improving health care for medically underserved populations and closing well-documented disparities in care. Topics covered include:
- The concepts of health disparities and health care disparities as well as their underlying causes.
- Effective communication with patients of diverse socioeconomic, racial and ethnic backgrounds and varying literacy levels.
- Issues that must be considered when making clinical and administrative decisions related to underserved populations.
- New research on patient preferences, legal issues, cultural competency, health literacy and practice systems as well as clinical practice guidelines.
This activity is applicable to physicians maintaining certification in any area.
Request this activity