The steps to apply and the documentation requirements in this section are intended to be limited to the minimum amount of information necessary for ABIM to determine whether a candidate is entitled to the requested testing accommodation.
Consistent with the requirements of the ADA, ABIM will consider all documentation submitted and recognizes that no one piece of evidence may be dispositive in making a testing accommodation determination. Therefore, if a candidate cannot provide results from a specific test or evaluation instrument, this may not necessarily preclude the candidate from receiving his or her requested accommodation, if the documentation otherwise provided by the candidate, in its entirety, is sufficient to demonstrate he or she has a qualifying disability and requires a testing accommodation. Supporting medical documentation is your responsibility and is prepared and obtained at your expense.
In ABIM's experience, the vast majority of testing accommodation requests supported by the documentation described herein can be reviewed in a timely manner and are granted.
Be sure to review the deadlines below and read the list of Common Testing Accommodations that have been requested and, if appropriate, granted by ABIM.
Step 1: Review the Accommodations section
All candidates should review the policies in their entirety to ensure that they understand their rights and obligations when requesting a testing accommodation.
In particular read the Common Forms of Accommodation that have been requested and, if appropriate, granted by ABIM.
Step 2: Complete the suggested documentation
Review and complete the suggested documentation for your accommodation:
Step 3: Submit your request by the registration deadline
Before the examination registration deadlines above, submit your written request and documentation to ABIM's Special Exams Coordinator:
Special Exams Coordinator
Step 4: ABIM will conduct an evaluation of your request and notify you in writing with a determination
Request to apply an ABIM-approved accommodation to any ABIM exam:
To request the same accommodation for another exam, e-mail email@example.com with:
- Name and contact information
- Title and administration period of the ABIM exam(s) for which that accommodation was approved
- Title of exam for which you are now seeking the accommodation
- Description of the accommodation(s) previously received
You do not need to re-submit medical documentation of your need for the same accommodation on a future examination.
Request to apply an accommodation previously approved by another organization to an ABIM exam:
If you were previously approved for an accommodation by another organization similar to ABIM, you may be granted the same accommodation by ABIM. Candidates requesting such consideration should submit a written request for accommodation to the address above that includes:
- Your completed request form (pdf)
- A letter from the organization that administered the exam for which the candidate received the requested accommodation stating that the requested accommodation had been approved
- A copy of all documentation sent to the other testing organization in support of the candidate's request
Deadlines for Accommodation Requests
All requests must be received by the examination's registration deadline below:
Certification exam - late registration deadlines:
- Summer Internal Medicine exam: April 28
- Fall Subspecialty exams: June 28
Traditional MOC exam - registration deadlines:
- Spring MOC exams: Feb. 28
- Fall MOC exams: Aug. 15
Knowledge Check-In - registration deadlines:
- Spring Knowledge Check-In for Cardiovascular Disease, Gastroenterology and Rheumatology: January 15, 2019
- Spring Knowledge Check-In for Geriatric Medicine and Hematology: February 15, 2019
- Spring Knowledge Check-In for Endocrinology, Infectious Disease and Pulmonary Disease: March 15, 2019
- Fall Knowledge Check-In for Cardiovascular Disease, Gastroenterology and Rheumatology: July 15, 2019
- Fall Knowledge Check-In for Geriatric Medicine and Hematology: August 15, 2019
- Fall Knowledge Check-In for Endocrinology, Infectious Disease and Pulmonary Disease: September 15, 2019
ABIM recommends submitting your requests as far in advance of the deadline as possible. Some requests involve a substantial investment of time to review if, for example, additional supporting documentation is needed and, once granted, to make the necessary arrangements.