Offer MOC Points for My Activity
Healthcare organizations including CME providers, hospitals, health systems, and medical societies can support physician engagement in MOC by offering MOC points to ABIM Board Certified physicians for learning activities and QI/PI projects that they are already doing.
Register a CME Activity
Through the ABIM MOC Assessment Recognition Program, ABIM and the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) have collaborated to simplify the integration of Maintenance of Certification (MOC) and accredited CME.
The collaboration continues to expand the number and diversity of accredited CME activities that offer ABIM MOC points, and it streamlines the process for registering CME activities for ABIM MOC recognition.
To register a CME Activity for MOC points
- Download the CME for MOC Program Guide to determine eligibility.
- Go to ACCME's website to register the activity and submit participant data using ACCME's Provider and Activity Reporting System (PARS).
Submit a QI/PI Project
Approval for activities offering AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
Accredited providers should register Practice Assessment MOC activities in ACCME's Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS).
Approval for all other activities:
ABIM Approved Quality Improvement (AQI) Program
The AQI program is the process through which ABIM recognizes externally developed quality improvement activities that physicians are doing in practice.
ABIM welcomes proposals from sponsors that may include medical specialty societies, hospitals or departments within hospitals, medical groups, clinics or other health-related organizations that wish to approve a single activity.
- Download the ABIM Approved Quality Improvement Program Guide (pdf)
- Download and complete the AQI Application (pdf)
- Email completed applications to email@example.com
AQI applications are peer-reviewed by one or more members of the relevant ABIM Specialty Board. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for upcoming application submission deadlines.
ABMS Portfolio Program™
Larger health care organizations seeking to offer MOC points for multiple QI activities across disciplines may wish to pursue the Portfolio Program. The Program, a service provided through the American Board of Medical Specialties® (ABMS), works with all types of health care organizations to recognize the work physicians are already doing to improve their practices and the care of their patients.
It offers an option for organizations to support physician involvement in quality, performance and process improvement (QI/PI) initiatives at their institution and awards physicians Practice Assessment MOC credit.
Visit the Portfolio Program website for more information on becoming a sponsor organization.
Host a Learning Session
Learning Sessions provide organizations with an opportunity to assist physicians in meeting ABIM’s MOC program requirements through collaboration. The purpose of a Learning Session is to enable ABIM Board Certified physicians to complete one of ABIM’s web-based Medical Knowledge activities in a facilitator-led interactive group.
- Learning Session Informational Flyer (pdf)
- Learning Session Host Guidelines (pdf)
- Learning Session Participant Guidelines (pdf)
To order a Learning Session:
- Download and complete the Learning Session Order Form (pdf)
- Email completed applications to email@example.com
- ABIM will invoice you upon receipt of your order form. There is a non-refundable license fee of $250 for each Medical Knowledge activity used for one or more Learning Session(s) during a single- or multi-day meeting. Learning Session materials will not be distributed until full payment has been received.
- Learning Session materials will be emailed to you approximately 90 days prior to the event date. Orders received less than 90 days prior to the event date will be processed and made available immediately upon receipt of applicable fees.
Please note: ABIM's ongoing collaboration with the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) has resulted in thousands of activities that allow physicians to easily earn both Maintenance of Certification (MOC) points and Continuing Medical Education (CME) credits – and over the past several years ABIM has seen a marked decline in utilization of our remaining Medical Knowledge Modules.
We have therefore made the decision to retire the Internal Medicine and Hospital Medicine Medical Knowledge Modules after the release of the 2022-2023 modules. The final day to order either module will be 6/30/23, and the last day to complete for MOC points and submit for CME credits will be 9/30/23.
Submit Participant Completion Information
MOC Activity Providers who do not submit participant completion information through the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) can use ABIM’s Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP). The following resources are available to support your submission process:
- Download ABIM SFTP User Guide (pdf) for detailed instructions.
- Sign on to the ABIM SFTP site.
- Download the Participant Completion Data template (csv). The file can be opened and edited in Excel. If your file opens in a different program, right click the file, select Open with > and click Excel.
- Questions? Email MOCPrograms@abim.org.