ABIM's fee schedule for the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program includes two components: An annual MOC program fee, due within each calendar year, and an assessment fee, which is paid when you register for a traditional ABIM MOC exam or the new ABIM Knowledge Check-In.
Annual MOC Program Fee
|Before year due:
|In year due:
|After year due:
Save more with these additional payment options (PDF)
||Traditional MOC Exam
(every 10 years)
(every 2 years)
|Internal Medicine or Focused Practice in Hospital Medicine
- If you pre-paid an MOC program fee, it will remain on your account.
- An additional $20 will be added to the program fee if it is paid after the year in which it was due, bringing it to $175.
- Your annual program fee is due each year on January 1.
- If you are retaking a traditional 10-year MOC exam for the first time after failing the same exam, you receive 50% off the assessment fee. Subsequent retakes of the exam will be full price.
- For international test takers: There is an International Test Center Fee of $500 for the traditional 10-year MOC exam and an International Test Center fee of $100 for the two-year Knowledge Check-In. This fee is waived for active members of the military.
- The cost for taking one traditional MOC exam and five Knowledge Check-Ins is the same over 10 years.
- To learn more about the options you have in paying for MOC, review frequently asked questions about MOC fees in 2018.
- There are no refunds for the MOC annual program fee.
- If you cancel a traditional 10-year MOC exam: Your MOC assessment fee will be credited to your account if you cancel your MOC exam in accordance with the MOC Exam Cancellation Policy.
Credits and Waivers
- If you are enrolled in an eligible fellowship, you will receive an MOC program fee credit for every eligible fellowship year you have completed. Fellowship years are eligible for credit if they are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or the Professional Corporation of Physicians of Quebec and if a rating of at least Satisfactory was received for the year.
- Fee credits will be granted upon receipt of an eligible training evaluation and will be applied to your annual MOC program fee. Unaccredited training years either before or during fellowship or fellowship years completed before 2014 do not qualify for the MOC credit.
- Upon successful completion of an eligible fellowship year and ABIM's receipt of your evaluation from your program director via FasTrack, you will also receive 20 MOC points.
- Upon becoming newly certified in Internal Medicine, you will receive an MOC program fee waiver, which will be automatically applied to your annual MOC program fee.
Supporting 200,000 doctors through their careers
ABIM fees serve physicians directly, contributing to enhancement and innovation in assessment options, MOC activities and CME credit, and a personalized online experience.